- 1 ½ pound fresh fish fillets (sole, sea bass or tilapia)
- 1 red onion cut in very thin slices
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice. (10-15 lemons)
- 1-2 yellow or habanero peppers cut in half, seeded and deveined
- 3 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- Peruvian salt to taste ( see recipe in our salt recipes )
- Lettuce leaves
- Dried or fresh canchita corn as an accompaniment
- Sweet potato chips or thickly sliced parboiled sweet potatoes
- Olive oil to taste *optional
Start by squeezing the lemons, julienne the onion and when you have these preparations proceed to cut the fish into small cubes and place them in a glass container. Cover the pieces of fish with the juice of the lemons, a pinch of Peruvian salt and half of the onions.
Add the cilantro and the chili bell pepper in large pieces. Cover and refrigerate for about 5-15 minutes or until the fish begins to blanch.
Remove the cilantro sprigs and chili peppers from the ceviche mixture. Taste the fish ceviche and adjust the salt if necessary.
To serve put the ceviche in each container, either a plate or bowl, add some of the onion slices, chopped cilantro and the garnishes on the side (canchita corn and sweet potato).
Soaking the fish in cold water and salt helps the fish to maintain a firm texture prior to mixing with the lemon and other ingredients.
Rinsing the onion with salt and cold water helps to eliminate the bitter taste.